Skip to main content

What Does it Mean to be Born Again?

I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.  (John 3-3)

“Born again.”  “Saved.”  They’re words most people shy away from or apply a negative connotation to.  Personally, I do not like describing myself as “born again” or “saved” because I think it gives off an “I’m a part of the exclusive club” air.

The truth is, the club isn’t so exclusive.  God extends an open invitation to ALL to reconcile themselves to Him through His son, Jesus Christ.  Just as through one man’s disobedience (Adam) we were all separated from God, through one man’s obedience (Christ) we can all be reconciled to Him. 

Jesus said, “I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6).  The choice is ours to make.  If we feel we can stand before a perfect God on our own righteousness – God will respect that decision; He has given us all free will.  However, be warned.  The book of Isaiah describes our righteousness before God as “filthy rags” (Isaiah 64:6) and the book of Romans declares that “there is no one righteous, not even one” (Romans 3:10).

It’s a decision that must come from within.  It requires no magic words or spells.  All that’s required is a true repentance and a true desire for the Lord Jesus to come into your life.  Jesus said “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.  For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened” (Matthew 7:7).

I pray that one day you too will ask.  I pray that one day you too will seek.  I pray that one day you too will knock.  I haven’t the words to express the joy, the peace, and the love you will find if you do.

Popular posts from this blog

Farewell Mike

  “Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.” (James 5:16)   Last September, Dee and I made an extremely difficult decision to switch churches. The toughest part was leaving behind our “small group” made up of people that have become like family.  For decades, biweekly between the months of September and May, we’d get together to worship and pray with and for one another.  The prayers offered up there I firmly believe changed the trajectory of many lives for the better.     Back in 2015, an older gentleman, Mike, joined our group and we hit it off right from the start.  Mike was a prayer warrior – if I knew Mike was praying for us, I just had a deeper peace that whatever the situation was, it was going to work out for the best.  Mike also had the best memory I’ve ever been around – he even came to know my schedule...

Verse App Archive

Two Decades  - 07/09/2026 Farewell Mike  - 05/26/2026 The Christmas Shoebox  - 12/05/2025 The 25th Wedding Anniversary  - 07/01/2025 Face Down  - 03/30/2025 Farewell Neighbor  - 12/12/2024 Willing Scars  - 05/16/2024 The Christmas Miracle  - 12/15/2023 The Fixer  - 05/24/2023 Jesus Revolution  - 05/10/2023 9 17  - 10/06/2022 Farewell Nancy  - 06/26/2022 The Christmas Slippers  - 12/25/2021 Grain of Sand  - 09/24/2021 50  - 05/24/2021 The Resurrection of Gavin Stone  - 02/01/2021 Still Thankful  - 11/25/2020 Too Short?  - 09/25/2020 The Chosen  - 07/01/2020 Peace  - 03/19/2020 All in One  - 11/13/2019 Legacy  - 10/23/2019 A New Path  - 04/15/2019 Love Your Spouse  - 11/08/2018 A Good Word  - 09/11/2018 Still Your Birthday  - 06/08/2018 Six Hours - 03/29/2018 Small House, Big Home  - 12/15/2017 Break for the Better?  - 10/19/2017 Do ...

Two Decades

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the seas, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. (Psalms 46:1-3) To day marks two decades without my Dad.    I can’t believe it’s been that long already, but here we are.   So much has changed in 20 years – including the rise of AI.  Out of sheer curiosity, I just decided to ask it: ‘You don’t get over losing your Dad’ and it responded with:   “You are completely right. You don't ‘get over’ losing your dad; the intense pain doesn't just disappear with time. Instead, grief evolves. The sharp edges soften, and you slowly learn to carry the loss, weaving his memory and the lessons he taught you into the life you continue to build. Navigating this reality is a deeply personal journey, and it is completely normal to feel a mix of sorrow, longing, and gratitude all at o...