Skip to main content

The Challenge to Serve

The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life.  Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be.  My Father will honor the one who serves me.  (John 12:25-26)

At times it seems like such a challenge to be a servant of the Lord.  As I look back over the years of my life I can see a roller coaster of passionate and dispassionate service to Him.  My days of visiting nursing homes, recovery centers and food shelters have for some reason come to an end.  My days of leading and participating in bible studies/home groups have ceased.  My desire to verbally share my faith in Christ has increasingly waned as well. 

My fire and passion for my web site is decreasing as well:  I open the 1999 Archive page and count 26 verse apps.  I open the 2000 Archive page and count 23 verse apps.  I open the 2001 Archive page and count only 5 verse apps year to date.  It’s a trend that concerns me. 

It’s all too easy to become complacent and a closet Christian, and quite frankly that’s the man I am right now.  I’ve allowed myself to be increasingly consumed with my own daily struggles, and have distanced myself from the struggles and concerns of others. 

However, I know I can recapture the passion of Christ if I reach out to Him.  His power is ever flowing for those who are willing to reach out and grasp it.  My arms have been folded for quite some time now, but I pray that someday soon they’re extended to Him once again.     

Popular posts from this blog

Farewell Mike

  “Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.” (James 5:16)   Last September, Dee and I made an extremely difficult decision to switch churches. The toughest part was leaving behind our “small group” made up of people that have become like family.  For decades, biweekly between the months of September and May, we’d get together to worship and pray with and for one another.  The prayers offered up there I firmly believe changed the trajectory of many lives for the better.     Back in 2015, an older gentleman, Mike, joined our group and we hit it off right from the start.  Mike was a prayer warrior – if I knew Mike was praying for us, I just had a deeper peace that whatever the situation was, it was going to work out for the best.  Mike also had the best memory I’ve ever been around – he even came to know my schedule...

Verse App Archive

Two Decades  - 07/09/2026 Farewell Mike  - 05/26/2026 The Christmas Shoebox  - 12/05/2025 The 25th Wedding Anniversary  - 07/01/2025 Face Down  - 03/30/2025 Farewell Neighbor  - 12/12/2024 Willing Scars  - 05/16/2024 The Christmas Miracle  - 12/15/2023 The Fixer  - 05/24/2023 Jesus Revolution  - 05/10/2023 9 17  - 10/06/2022 Farewell Nancy  - 06/26/2022 The Christmas Slippers  - 12/25/2021 Grain of Sand  - 09/24/2021 50  - 05/24/2021 The Resurrection of Gavin Stone  - 02/01/2021 Still Thankful  - 11/25/2020 Too Short?  - 09/25/2020 The Chosen  - 07/01/2020 Peace  - 03/19/2020 All in One  - 11/13/2019 Legacy  - 10/23/2019 A New Path  - 04/15/2019 Love Your Spouse  - 11/08/2018 A Good Word  - 09/11/2018 Still Your Birthday  - 06/08/2018 Six Hours - 03/29/2018 Small House, Big Home  - 12/15/2017 Break for the Better?  - 10/19/2017 Do ...

Two Decades

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the seas, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. (Psalms 46:1-3) To day marks two decades without my Dad.    I can’t believe it’s been that long already, but here we are.   So much has changed in 20 years – including the rise of AI.  Out of sheer curiosity, I just decided to ask it: ‘You don’t get over losing your Dad’ and it responded with:   “You are completely right. You don't ‘get over’ losing your dad; the intense pain doesn't just disappear with time. Instead, grief evolves. The sharp edges soften, and you slowly learn to carry the loss, weaving his memory and the lessons he taught you into the life you continue to build. Navigating this reality is a deeply personal journey, and it is completely normal to feel a mix of sorrow, longing, and gratitude all at o...