Skip to main content

Never Alone

I am with you, declares the Lord.  (Haggai 1:13)

I had an awesome experience this week in Houston.  I was preparing to head to the airport with a colleague, and faced the daunting task of carrying a heavy laptop bag and suitcase 10 blocks from the account to the hotel, waiting for the hotel valet to get our rental car, and then finally navigating our way to the airport.  To make matters worse, my colleague had to spend another two days in Houston, so it was a major inconvenience for him. 

I said a quick prayer to the Lord asking for a better way to the airport, to make life easier for the both of us.  Five minutes later as we exited the building, a taxi stopped two feet in front of us and let out a passenger.  The cabbie noticed my suitcase, and was desperately hoping I needed a ride.  Without much hesitation, I bid my colleague adieu and hopped in the cab.  The cabbie was ecstatic.  He talked for 5 minutes about how slow things had been since 9/11 (it was the first cab I had seen in my 10 block trip in my 3-day visit).  He talked about how the passenger he had just dropped off was a friend who desperately needed a ride downtown (which he had given him for free).  He talked about how he was hoping against hope that he would find someone who needed a ride to the airport (or he could get into trouble for the courtesy he just extended his friend).  He talked about how unbelievable it was when he spotted my suitcase, and better yet needed a ride to the airport.

As he was talking, I could feel the presence of the Lord and I could sense He wanted me to drill deeper - so I asked the cabbie how his life was going.  He paused for a second and then proceeded to talk for 15 minutes about how his wife had just left him and had taken their 3 kids.  He assured me that he had always been faithful to her, but she had grown frustrated with their financial situation, and his inability to provide for her to the degree she wanted.

It took everything I had to hold back the tears.  I could feel the Lord’s compassion for him, and that compassion had been fully transferred to my heart.  I shared with him my deep faith in Christ, and how I would be praying for his situation.  I told him that prayer had the power to move mountains, as has been displayed in my life many times over.  His eyes widened and he pulled out a bible from the dashboard.  He said, “I too believe in the power of prayer.”  We shook hands and exchanged first names, and I departed with a new friend.

Lord, I ask that your hand forever be upon Daniel.  I pray that you touch him and his family.  As you promised in your word, I pray that he never loses sight that you are with him - through the good times and the bad.

Popular posts from this blog

Farewell Mike

  “Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.” (James 5:16)   Last September, Dee and I made an extremely difficult decision to switch churches. The toughest part was leaving behind our “small group” made up of people that have become like family.  For decades, biweekly between the months of September and May, we’d get together to worship and pray with and for one another.  The prayers offered up there I firmly believe changed the trajectory of many lives for the better.     Back in 2015, an older gentleman, Mike, joined our group and we hit it off right from the start.  Mike was a prayer warrior – if I knew Mike was praying for us, I just had a deeper peace that whatever the situation was, it was going to work out for the best.  Mike also had the best memory I’ve ever been around – he even came to know my schedule...

Verse App Archive

Two Decades  - 07/09/2026 Farewell Mike  - 05/26/2026 The Christmas Shoebox  - 12/05/2025 The 25th Wedding Anniversary  - 07/01/2025 Face Down  - 03/30/2025 Farewell Neighbor  - 12/12/2024 Willing Scars  - 05/16/2024 The Christmas Miracle  - 12/15/2023 The Fixer  - 05/24/2023 Jesus Revolution  - 05/10/2023 9 17  - 10/06/2022 Farewell Nancy  - 06/26/2022 The Christmas Slippers  - 12/25/2021 Grain of Sand  - 09/24/2021 50  - 05/24/2021 The Resurrection of Gavin Stone  - 02/01/2021 Still Thankful  - 11/25/2020 Too Short?  - 09/25/2020 The Chosen  - 07/01/2020 Peace  - 03/19/2020 All in One  - 11/13/2019 Legacy  - 10/23/2019 A New Path  - 04/15/2019 Love Your Spouse  - 11/08/2018 A Good Word  - 09/11/2018 Still Your Birthday  - 06/08/2018 Six Hours - 03/29/2018 Small House, Big Home  - 12/15/2017 Break for the Better?  - 10/19/2017 Do ...

Two Decades

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the seas, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. (Psalms 46:1-3) To day marks two decades without my Dad.    I can’t believe it’s been that long already, but here we are.   So much has changed in 20 years – including the rise of AI.  Out of sheer curiosity, I just decided to ask it: ‘You don’t get over losing your Dad’ and it responded with:   “You are completely right. You don't ‘get over’ losing your dad; the intense pain doesn't just disappear with time. Instead, grief evolves. The sharp edges soften, and you slowly learn to carry the loss, weaving his memory and the lessons he taught you into the life you continue to build. Navigating this reality is a deeply personal journey, and it is completely normal to feel a mix of sorrow, longing, and gratitude all at o...