Skip to main content

It's Still Father's Day

And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age. (Matthew 28:20)

My first Father’s Day without my Dad in 2007 wasn’t a good one.  I was like a fish without water, without that father to call or thank you card to fill out.  I remember receiving my first Father’s Day marketing email with spite, and questioned the nerve of that company to send me that note with him being gone.

Five years later I still receive those emails and there is still no Dad to call, but the feelings of emptiness and bitterness are gone.  The pure fact of the matter is that my Dad will always be with me – his example of dedication, work ethic, and fatherly love is in every fabric of my being (that no cancer cell can ever take away).

So with each new Father’s Day that comes along, I no longer cower away from it.  I make sure to take time out for a prayer of thanks to the Lord…to thank Him for all the wonderful years with my Dad, and for providing me an example here on earth of His fatherly love for all of us.

Popular posts from this blog

Farewell Mike

  “Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.” (James 5:16)   Last September, Dee and I made an extremely difficult decision to switch churches. The toughest part was leaving behind our “small group” made up of people that have become like family.  For decades, biweekly between the months of September and May, we’d get together to worship and pray with and for one another.  The prayers offered up there I firmly believe changed the trajectory of many lives for the better.     Back in 2015, an older gentleman, Mike, joined our group and we hit it off right from the start.  Mike was a prayer warrior – if I knew Mike was praying for us, I just had a deeper peace that whatever the situation was, it was going to work out for the best.  Mike also had the best memory I’ve ever been around – he even came to know my schedule...

Verse App Archive

Two Decades  - 07/09/2026 Farewell Mike  - 05/26/2026 The Christmas Shoebox  - 12/05/2025 The 25th Wedding Anniversary  - 07/01/2025 Face Down  - 03/30/2025 Farewell Neighbor  - 12/12/2024 Willing Scars  - 05/16/2024 The Christmas Miracle  - 12/15/2023 The Fixer  - 05/24/2023 Jesus Revolution  - 05/10/2023 9 17  - 10/06/2022 Farewell Nancy  - 06/26/2022 The Christmas Slippers  - 12/25/2021 Grain of Sand  - 09/24/2021 50  - 05/24/2021 The Resurrection of Gavin Stone  - 02/01/2021 Still Thankful  - 11/25/2020 Too Short?  - 09/25/2020 The Chosen  - 07/01/2020 Peace  - 03/19/2020 All in One  - 11/13/2019 Legacy  - 10/23/2019 A New Path  - 04/15/2019 Love Your Spouse  - 11/08/2018 A Good Word  - 09/11/2018 Still Your Birthday  - 06/08/2018 Six Hours - 03/29/2018 Small House, Big Home  - 12/15/2017 Break for the Better?  - 10/19/2017 Do ...

Two Decades

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the seas, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. (Psalms 46:1-3) To day marks two decades without my Dad.    I can’t believe it’s been that long already, but here we are.   So much has changed in 20 years – including the rise of AI.  Out of sheer curiosity, I just decided to ask it: ‘You don’t get over losing your Dad’ and it responded with:   “You are completely right. You don't ‘get over’ losing your dad; the intense pain doesn't just disappear with time. Instead, grief evolves. The sharp edges soften, and you slowly learn to carry the loss, weaving his memory and the lessons he taught you into the life you continue to build. Navigating this reality is a deeply personal journey, and it is completely normal to feel a mix of sorrow, longing, and gratitude all at o...